British music legend under investigation over alleged sexual assault
A household name who is idolised by his fans has reportedly been accused of sexual assault over an alleged incident in the toilet of a Central London hotel.
The young man is reported to have told detectives the musician waited outside a cubicle and as he left buttoning up his trousers, the singer put his hands round his private parts.
As the complainant turned down the man, the singer is said to have returned to his bedroom.
The incident reportedly happened 10 years ago at the Mandarin Oriental Hotel in Knightsbridge, and was reported in October last year.
The Sun Online explained the alleged victim was working in TV at the time and had met the singer on a different occasion through a mutual friend.
There was no complaint made at the time of the alleged incident, but now detectives at Belgravia police station are investigating the case.
A Metropolitan Police spokesperson told the publication: “On October 5 2018, a man contacted police to allege that he was sexually assaulted by another man in February 2009 at the Mandarin Oriental Hotel in Westminster SW1.
“Officers from Westminster are investigating. There has been no arrest.”
“Police are trying to decide whether they can take it forward”
The alleged victim has told the police after suffering “psychological trauma” over the incident and reportedly has plans to sue the singer for damages.
A source added: “The allegation in this instance is a single matter and the police are trying to decide whether they can take it forward.”
The musician reportedly denies the allegation.
It comes after a number of celebrity scandals following sexual allegations with the #MeToo movement.
After a number of women came forward to accuse Harvey Weinstein of sex offences in 2017, and the Hollywood director is still in the midst of a trial for the allegations.