Influencer Spotlight: Halima Aden
Here is everything you need to know about the fashion model & activist, Halima Aden, who made history as the first Miss Minnesota USA pageant to wear a hijab.
1. She is the subject of a documentary which chronicled an entire year of her life.
2. She grew up in St. Cloud, Minnesota, but was born in Kakuma, a refugee camp in Kenya.
3. She was not only the first women to wear a hijab in the Miss Minnesota USA pageant but she also rocked a full body swimsuit.
4. She’s represented by top agency IMG Models and has walked the runway for designers at Milan, London, and New York Fashion Week.
5. She is the first hijab-wearing model on the cover of Vogue Arabia, Allure, and British Vogue.
6. She’s been a hardworking woman since the age of 10 while simultaneously completing her studies.
“At age 10, she braided hair to fund her school trips. At 16, she picked up two jobs, working before and after school,” reports TIME.com.
7. She’s a UNICEF Ambassador, human rights advocate, and activist.